Dhanteras is also called as festival of wealth. The Dhanteras Puja falls in the month of kartik on the thirteenth of the auspicious night. This auspicious festival is celebrated day before the festival of Diwali. The Puja during the Dhanteras is done during the Pradosh kaal or two hours before the sunset. This year Dhanteras will be on 17th of October 2017. The Dhanteras puja Muhurat during this year is between 19:19 for 20:17 lasting for about 58 minutes.
Dhanteras 2017 Importance
Dhanteras is the auspicious festival befreo Diwali. It has been known that on this day, Goddess Lakshmi came out of the milky ocean during the churning of the Dhantrayodashi. This day is called as Dhanwantri Jayanti or the birthday of Lord Dhanvantari. On this day, special puja is performed for Goddess Mahalakshmi. Another major significance of Dhanteras is to please Lord Yama in order to prevent untimely death in the family. Hindu also worships Lord Kuber as he is the Lord of the wealth and happiness. The custom of worshipping Lakshmi along with the Kuber is known to bring wealth and riches in the life.
People buy gold, silver and Jewelry on this day. Many wear new clothes as they light the first lamp of Diwali while some engage in the game of gambling.
Dhanteras 2017 Puja Procedure
1) On Dhanteras, people clean the households and decorate their houses. On the entrance of the house, the steps of Lakshmi are drawn on the floor leading to the puja room. Rangoli is also drawn on the main entrance of the house.
2. Some people fast for the whole day till the evening on Dhanteras and the fast is concluded in the evening after Dhanteras puja and lightning Yamdeep. The main dishes which are prepared are puris and sweets.
3. On Dhanteras some people worship seven grains displaying them in front of Mother Lakshmi.
4. In the evening, Lakshmi puja and Dhanvanri puja is done during the pradosh kaal or the two hours before sunset.
5. Some people also buy gold, silver and newly bought utensils in front of the puja altar. Some buy new vehicle and expensive items to invite luck in the household.
6. The main event of Dhanteras is to light Yamdeep. The yamdeep lamp is kept at the entrance of the house till morning to remove evil forces and negative energies from the home and also to invite blessings of Yama and Mahalakshmi.
7. Next day people meet with each other and exchange sweets and other delicacies with each other.
8. The diyas are immersed in the water after third day of Diwali.